Updated: May 11, 2020
There's a new service for pregnant women and new mothers and their families in Mackay which is well overdue- a private home visiting midwife service.
My name is Chris Raines and I am a Registered Nurse, a Midwife and a Child Health Nurse, and recently I also became an Endorsed midwife.
I have just begun work as a Privately Practicing Midwife in Mackay, which means I am able to provide antenatal home visiting care and postnatal home visits, from the beginning of your pregnancy up until six weeks after the birth of your baby.
Previously, if women from Mackay need to see a midwife, they had to go to a medical clinic or hospital, which right now are not anyone’s favorite places to be. But in a from now on, you will be able to have your own private midwife come to your home to provide the same pregnancy and post birth care for you and your baby, which you would otherwise have to leave the house for.
Endorsed Midwives, like myself, meet a registration standard over and above the registration required by a Midwife, which means than an Endorsed Midwife can order blood tests and ultrasounds relating to pregnancy, birth and the newborn period, as well as being able to prescribe and administer medication as needed.
All this is in addition to the bonus of mothers being able to claim some of the cost of private care through Medicare, similar to the way you would with your G.P.
There are a number of reasons why you would like to have your own private midwife, both during your pregnancy and after you baby is born. Among these are;
· the convenience of not having to get out of your PJ’s, into the car and out into the world
· the reassurance you receive from having a qualified midwife assess you and your baby after you go home from the hospital
· the knowledge that midwives are experts in pregnancy, birth and postnatal and child health
· the comfort of knowing that midwives can provide care for your mental health as well as your physical health
· and seeing the same midwife every time means that you don’t have to tell your story to a different midwife each time you go to an appointment.
In addition to these great reasons to have your own private midwife, I have been living and working in Mackay for a number of years now and have a great knowledge of health care providers and support services for pregnant women, new mothers and their families, so if you need a referral to a service, or information about an issue, I can help you to find the assistance you need.
If you have any questions, or are wondering if a private midwife may by the right option for you, have a look at the Dauntless Birth website https://www.dauntlessbirth.com.au/ ,follow Dauntless Birth on Facebook or email me on email@example.com for more details.